The Thrill of Victory


Although I would like to, I can't always go fishing.

1. I don't have that many friends who are available every weekend
2. It is rather expensive
3. Chores exist
4. The weather isn't always accommodating.

In March, #4 (above) often applies because March is windy.  In fact, I looked:

Forecast

When the forecast begins with a "Small Craft Advisory" highlighted in red, it is safe to say that the conditions offshore are considered "not ideal".  My boat may be able to handle 6 foot seas, but I'm not sure my body can.  I simply ain't getting any younger.

So I am a "land-lubber" this weekend  Ugh, like I stated in #3, there are always chores to do at home. Well, one of the things I enjoy about fishing weekends is hanging out by the fire on the back deck of the Crak Shak in Panacea. However, to enjoy that luxury, wood has to be cut.

As it turns out, my neighbor Stan, who is a lobbyist, bet me fifty dollars a few months ago at the poker table that I could not chop all this wood in my front yard, in one day, by hand:

That's funny.  I just realized there is a dog in this photo.

Since I was already kicking his butt monetarily at the poker table, I figured what the heck? What have I got to lose?  It's his lost money.  He is in Washington this weekend lobbying, so I had to take some "timed selfies" for proof. Although windy, it is still a very nice day today, so I started chopping, and chopping, and chopping, and chopping.  Wow, this is hard for an old dude, but at the end of the day, I got it all done:

Fishing Florida's Forgotten CoastFishing Florida's Forgotten Coast

Of course, chopping the wood (and winning 50 bucks) is only the 1st step, then it all has to be loaded onto the truck multiple times and taken up the hill to the back yard where it then has to be unloaded from the truck, stacked and finally covered. 


The final stack!

Still, all of it was worth it to prove to my neighbor that I am still the man (albeit old man)!

Now, how much Advil can fifty dollars purchase?

The sweetness of victory!  Stan, I know you read this blog, so feel free to drop off my money anytime.  Don't even think about paying me in pennies either.

I'm out of town for a while on business myself, so I can't blog for a while.

Weather permitting, back to offshore fishing on April 8.

Thanks for reading.

Capt'n Hook







Captain Marc Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment