The KING has left the building/ocean!


April 20, 2012

I have entered "Geeks 1" into a Kingfish tournament at Rock Landing Marina.  The tournament is next week, so I figured that we needed at least one practice run befor the tournament.  After all, we have never caught, or even attempted to catch, Kingfish on the Triton.

On the boat today, again, is Russell Paul and Ryan Brooks.  I think they have become as addicted to fishing as me.

We headed out early morning for the SW side of Ocholocknee Shoal - about 12 miles offshore.  I was anxious to try out my new Penn reels.  Russell also bought a new Penn reel.  We were instructed by several people to use Kingfish lures which look like tinsel on a Christmas tree with three large hooks attached. 

Just a few minutes after trolling we catch a couple of Spanish Mackerel.  Thanks for the action guys, but we are looking for your grandfathers.  Please go away.  We throw them back.

I have mapped out a 17 mile perimeter between four waypoints.  After those mackerel, things got very quiet trolling.  We reach the 2nd waypoiont, make a turn to the West and keep going.  After another hour, I get frustrated because we aren't catching anything.  So, we decide to drift and bottom fish for a little while.  We spend a half hour doing that.  NOTHING!  Whatever.  We came to troll, not bottom fish, so I tell the guys to reel em up and we head off again at 3 knots.  Nothing is really hitting these tinsel lures (we are calling them "skirts" at this time), so we change all the rigs to Stretch 25& 30 lures. 

It isn't long before we hear that sweet music of drag.  It's on Ryan's side.  He jumps on the pole.  He starts fighting this thing.  Man, this thing is big!   He hit the stretch 25.  After a considerable fight, the fish gets close to the boat and we see it is a King.  Man, he's big!  The King sees the boat.  No way jose!  He doesn't like the look of the boat and takes off running again.  To say Ryan is excited would be a huge understatement.   This is a big King, and I'm pretty sure the biggest fish Ryan has ever had on his line (well except for that 10 ft shark two weeks ago, but let's not count him).  The King heads under the boat and runs again.  Ryan, I must say, rather expertly moves around the boat with the fish.  I can see the ferociousness in his eyes.  Ryan - not the King.  Ryan gets the King next to the boat; I gaff him and stick him in the live well.  Hot damn!  Kingfish in the boat - and a 25 pound kingfish at that.  He is a monster!  Okay, the day just got better.  Off we go again.  Let's get another boys.

It isn't long before we get a bonita.  Then, we have another King on the line. Russell's turn this time.  We bring him in and stick him in the livewell.  Not as big as Ryan's, but still impressive.  Shortly after, Russell gets another King up to the boat and pulls him out of the water without the gaff.  Why you do that bro?  King gets away.  No matter, we really didn't want another one in the live well anyway.  Who is going to clean these boys?  Not me, I'm the Captain.  We fish for a little while longer, but no more major hits. 

We reel em in and head home.  The wind is blowing like a banshee now!  Wow, whitecaps everywhere.  We hit one swell that, I swear, made me lose a molar in my back teeth.  I can tell this major weather front is coming tomorrow.

So I get back to the dock and Macon (dock hand) puts my boat on the lift and starts to take it away.  "Wait a minute dude", I say, "I have fish on the boat that need to come out of the live well".  He says, "Oh sorry, Mr. Marc, I'm not use to you having any fish".  Bastard.  I think I want my tip back that I gave him that morning.  Macon giggles like a girl, by the way.

Great day fishing bros, and excellent teamwork I must say.  It really does require all of us to work together to get these big fish in the boat.   I am as ready as possible for the upcoming tournament.

So the BIG mystery.  I have heard contradicting stories from everyone.  Do Kings taste good? 

I took Ryan's monster home and put him on the grill.  This is what he looks like sizzling after Ryan's expert filet job:


OMG!  He tastes awesome!  Mystery solved.  Kingfish taste incredible on the grill.  Really, I'm not lying.  I soaked him in milk for 30 minutes, put him on the grill with some spicy Redfish seasoning and some butter.  Extremely light and fluffy.  Oh yeah baby.  Even Cameron and Delaney loved him.

Bring on the tournament.

Tight lines!

Captain Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment