Maiden Voyage


January 21, 2012.  Triton 24' "GEEKS 1" Bay Boat Maiden Voyage!  I'm excited.  Yep. This is it!  After picking up the boat from St. Petersburg, and bringing it all the way back to Tallahassee. (Which scared me to death by the way).   It is time to put it in the water.  To say I am nervous is an understatement.  24 ft!  Really?  Although it may not be large to some folks, I never thought I would Captain a boat larger than 18 ft. 

No problem getting the boat into the water.  But then again I have Gene Griffin with me.  The boy knows everything and always gives me confidence when I am doing stuff that is outside my comfort zone.  He also came all the way to St. Pete with Cameron Paul and me to get the boat.  Calling him a "great friend" is an understatement.

I register the boat with Rock Landing Marina.  Sheila, behind the counter,  is as nice as she can be.  I also meet a young kid named Robby.  He is also extremely nice and respectful.  I already like this new location.  Boat's in the water.  Engine starts right up and is running!  Man, that 4-stroke is quiet!  Off we go!

Oh, did I mention that Delaney, my 9 year old daughter is with me.  God bless her.  She likes going on the boat.  She and I have plans to spend the night here in Panacea after we are done and return tomorrow and take the boat out again.  She is excited about spending the weekend with her Dad. 

I don't know this area, so we stay in the channel where it is safe.  The boat increases speed with no problem.  Man, this Lowrance GPS is complicated.  How long is it going to take me to learn how to use this thing? Being a geek, I am looking forward to it though.   Anyway, since the boat was sitting in my front yard for a month, I did have time to read the manual and fix the GPS antenna, which is now working perfectly I must say.  I love seeing all the satellites on my screen.   We start heading down the channel.  Boat picks up speed fast.  Love that Honda 225 four stroke on the back!   It took me forever to find a Bay boat with a 4 stroke, but I am glad I waited for it.   Delaney is sitting next to me.  Gene, who is standing next to her, looks over at me, smiles and says, "This is an unbelievably nice boat".   I swear, for the rest of my life, I will never forget the look on his face when he made that comment.  I simply smile back cause I know it is true.  We both LOVE boats and fishing. 

Although it is chilly, the water is relatively calm and we have no problem making it out to the last channel marker.  In reality, this is only about two miles out, but it seems like a long way to me, because with my small bass boat, it WAS a long way at St. Marks.  It is already 2:30 p.m. and we can't stay out for long because: We are the only people out here!  It is January!  It is chilly.  We halfheartedly fish for awhile, but catch nothing.  VHF Radio squawks!  Something about "GEEKS 1".  Oh wait, that is my boat!  It is Rock Landing calling.  So, apparently, my VHF radio works.  Very cool!  I have never used one of those before.  I answer (appropriately - because I read on the Internet how to respond).  We switch to Channel 18.  Sheila asks us if we are returning soon.  They want to go home.  "No problem, we are returning now.  Geeks 1 Out.  Switching back to 16".  So we head North.  But not before I learn how to create a waypoint on my GPS at the last channel marker.  Delaney has an odd look on her face, but she doesn't say anything.

The Triton gets back to Rock Landing with no problems.  However, the dock turn-around, I discover is very narrow.  As I am turning around, the stern smashes against the dock.  Dammit!  This Triton is big!  No real damage done, but turning around in this narrow area is going to take some practice.

On the dock, Delaney is as white as a sheet.  She is obviously sick, but not from sea-sickness, but from a cold or whatever.  I ask her why she didn't tell me sooner, and bless her heart she says, "I didn't want to mess things up for your maiden voyage Daddy".  What a considerable little girl she is.  I find some TUMS for her in my backpack and she says she feels better, so Gene and I sit on the dock and fish for a little bit and talk.  We don't catch anything, but it is always fantastic to talk with a great friend after doing something extremely cool like a maiden voyage on a new boat.  And cool it was!  What is it about boats that is so amazing!?

Except for hitting the damn dock and a minor problem with my trim, I would have to say that it was an excellent maiden voyage.  I can't wait to take the boat out again - which I will do tomorrow with Delaney if she is up to it.  Thanks again Gene for all your assistance.  I am proud to be your friend.

For the rest of you, I am honored that you are reading my blog.  It is great to have you along for the voyage!  If you are reading, please let me know you are out there by "following me".

Captain Paul


















No comments:

Post a Comment