Fishing is Hard


05/11/12

On the boat today:  Russell Paul, Mike Wilson, Marc Paul

I have been dreaming about Bryon’s Reef all week.   After that Rock-the-Dock tournament, I really wanted another shot at that location.   I mean, I like to fish and everything, but the dreams were starting to drive me crazy. 
We headed out at 7:15 a.m. in typical fashion.  The weatherman called for 1-2 foot seas, 5-10 MPH winds, 0% chance of rain.  I’m thinking, "There couldn’t be better fishing conditions".  Weatherman are always “spot on” right?

As we leave the channel we get hit with a rather brisk NE wind 10-15 MPH.  Bryon’s Reef is 40 miles from Rock Landing Channel.  I sure hope this wind dies down throughout the day. 
Typically, I like to cruise at 30 MPH, but today, with this morning wind, I have to run the boat at 18-20 MPH.  It’s going to take us some time to get there.

An hour and a half later, we arrive at the reef.  I haven’t seen another boat out here all day.  Wait, I take that back.  I have seen exactly one boat and he is racing me to the exact location where I want to go.  Really?  He anchors right in front of me.  Bastard.  So, we start trolling.  Immediately, Russell catches a 25” Amberjack.  Great looking fish – not 30”, so not big enough to keep - but still a great looking fish.  We throw the trolling lines back in.  Almost immediately, something extremely large hits Mike’s rig.  This fish, by far, is the largest thing that has ever hit my trolling line.  The fish starts to run – fast and hard.  Then, he changes his mind as he probably doesn't like the way that hook feels in his mouth, and he heads straight back towards the boat - fast.  Mike is reeling as fast as he can.  This fish is big and fast.  The fish gets closer to the boat and just like that, poof, he is gone.  Dammit.  That boy was big.  Hey, who needs bottom fishing.  Let’s do it again.  We throw the trolling lines back out.

The waves are cresting at a solid 5 ft with white caps.  The wind is constant out here at 15-20 MPH.  You’re fricking kidding me!  There was supposed to be no wind today.  Weathermen!  They should just say, "We really have no idea what the weather will be today - now for sports".
We troll for another hour, but no more hits, so we decide to get on this guy’s butt and bottom fish.  As we were trolling around him, we noticed that they had several large fish on the line, but we have yet to see them get one in the boat.  Their lines keep breaking.  Oh, I feel terrible for those guys - yeah right!

Have I mentioned how difficult it is to anchor in 5 ft swells and 20 MPH wind?  We attempt it numerous times.   I know where the tugboats on the bottom are because the butthead in front of me is sitting on them, but trying to get my rock anchor to catch is proving quite difficult.  After numerous attempts, we kind of get the anchor to catch on something although we are not on the reef.  Mike is pretty tired from pulling 80ft of anchor rope so we give it a try.  After 20 minutes or so, I catch a small key west grunt, but other than that, nothing.  We keep bottom fishing for another hour, but – nothing – not even nibbles.

The day is marching forward and we have a LONG drive back.  I tell the boys to drop the trolling lines so we can troll back towards K Tower.  10 miles to K Tower.  We can’t go fast anyway because the waves are crashing over the bow.  We troll for an hour – nothing.  We are definitely running out of day now so we pull in the lines and head towards K Tower – a little faster.  The wind is punishing us.   Due to the wind direction, the waves are crashing over the starboard side.  Mike is soaked.  Thanks Mike – I’m pretty dry - please don't move.   We finally arrive at K Tower, but it is 2:30 p.m. now and we still have another hour to get in.  Nothing to do but keep going.  Since we only have one fish in the boat, I throw him back.  What’s the point.  Seagulls love us.
We arrive at the dock – oh, guess what, "Geeks 1: doesn’t have any fish in the boat – again.  No other boats around today, so big deal.

We are exhausted due to the waves and wind, but at least we are back safe.

Fishing is hard.

Tight lines!


Captain Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment