Action Jackson


March 18, 2012
Yes, I know, I was just fishing on the 16th and here I am again two days later on the Triton.  It sucks to be me!  Bill and Ann offered up their house for us to stay at last night.  The house is in Panacea and only a few miles from Rock Landing Marina, so it is very nice to have that available to us and saves us a long drive in the morning.
On the boat today are:  Gene and "Action" Jackson Griffin, Cameron Paul and me. – Captain Marc Paul.  If you think I "love" fishing, well, you haven't met Jackson.  That boy LOVES to fish.  I promised him a long time ago that I would take him out on the Triton.
I would really like the boys to experience the Spanish mackerel that Bill and I caught on Friday, so I head straight for the location where Bill and I caught so many of them.  We fish there for about 45 minutes, but there is simply NOTHING biting.  That sucks.  I really wanted the boys to hook into those Mackerel. 
Seas are only 1 to 3 today so instead of heading into Ochlocknee Bay, I decide to head out to Ocklocknee Shoal.  The shoal is about 10 miles offshore.  There are some obstructions around the shoal that I want to fish and I wouldn’t mind fishing the shoal itself for trout.  The first obstruction we get to yields only a pilot fish.  Man, those things are ugly. 
The tide is coming in and the shoal is running about 8-11 feet deep.  I figure it is a perfect place to catch trout.  Alas, nothing is biting!  The boys are getting bored.  I feel bad, especially because I had such a good day fishing on Friday. 
I head to a couple of other obstructions that are on my map near the shoal but there are no bites.  I decide to head back into shore.  I am hoping that I see some schools of Mackerel, but except for a few dolphins playing in our wake, I see nothing.
I stop at an obstruction that is just outside the Ochlocknee Bay Channel.  We start catching some small silver trout and a few small drum.  Well, at least we are catching some fish.  We stay here for awhile and our fish count goes up, but honestly, it is still tough fishing. 
I don’t think Jackson cares.  Have I mentioned that that boy just loves to fish.  I don't think he ever quits smiling when he is on the boat.  I can’t wait to take him Grouper fishing.  I really hope he hooks into a big one.
We head back into the dock with just a few small silver trout in the livewell.  We had a lot of fun, but I wish we had caught more fish.
April 1 – Grouper season begins.  We are all looking forward to that!
My Panacea Fishing blog will take a break next week as I am on Spring Break Vacation with my family for a week.  We are heading to Savannah, Georgia, Florence S.C., and Wild Adventures.
I’ll write again in a couple of weeks.
Tight lines.

Captain Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment